Marine Radio Operator Permit (MP)
You need a commercial radio operator license to operate the following:
- Ship radio stations if:
- the vessel carries more than six passengers for hire; or
- the radio operates on medium or high frequencies; or
- the ship sails to foreign ports; or
- the ship is larger than 300 gross tons and is required to carry a radio station for safety purposes.
- Coast stations which operate on medium or high frequencies, or operate with more than 1,500 watts of peak envelope power.
- International fixed public radiotelephone and radiotelegraph stations. Coast and ship stations transmitting radiotelegraphy.
You do NOT need a commercial radio operator license to operate the following:
- Coast stations operating on VHF frequencies with 250 watts or less of carrier power.
- Ship stations operating only on VHF frequencies while sailing on domestic voyages.
To qualify, you must:
- be a legal resident of (or otherwise eligible for employment in) the United States ; and
- be able to receive and transmit spoken messages in English; and
- pass a written examination.
Term of License
The Marine Radio Operator's Permit license has no expiration date.
To learn details and register to take the examination, contact the following qualified examination center:
Phone: (800) 211-2753
The examination center is located at 60 Barrett Drive, Webster, NY 14580.
Download some sample Test Questions (.XLS)